You can see an annual event Ningyou Joururi , the traditional Japanese puppet theater, at the old folk house designated as an important cultural property of Japan. “Meiboku Sendai Hagi – the act of Masaoka’s Loyalty” will be played this year.
We provide explanations for the beginners, and also a chance to manipulate the puppets.
Particularly in year, commentary in English is given before the first presentation, and children can try puppeteer before the second presentation.
Also, visitors can see and touch the puppets up close, so that you can enjoy it even if it is the first time for you to watch a Ningyou Joururi.
Please take this as a precious opportunity, to catch the dramatic expressions that puppets show.
The story of “Meiboku Sendai Hagi - the act of Masaoka’s Loyalty”
The story is based on a real struggle for a power within the fabulously wealthy Date clan that ruled the domain of Sendai in northeastern Japan. It depicts the breathtaking struggle between villains, who sought to take over the Date clan, and a loyal nanny and retainers who protect the young lord. A highlight is a scene called “Kudoki”, in which the loyal nanny pours out her strong and deep emotions.
- Date: September 23, 2019, Monday (Public holiday)
- Time: <session 1> 12:30 - 14:00 (with commentary in English) / <session 2>14:30 – 16:00 (with puppeteer experience for children)
- Fee: regular ticket – 1,000 yen; ticket for students & children – 500 yen ※ 1 person can purchase up to 2 tickets
- The seating capacity: 100 people for each session
- Performer: Shimonaka-za, the puppet troupe of Sagami (National Important Intangible Cultural Property)
- Place: 22 The Kudo house
About ticket sales
Tickets for both sessions are sold in front of the Front Gate of Minka-en from 11:00 on the day of the show. First come, first served to 100 persons for each session.
Please tell us the number of tickets and which session you would like to watch.
※ 1 person can purchase up to 2 tickets.