We hold a variety of events to celebrate Oshogatsu, a new year, including Lion Dance (shishimai), oshogatsu games and others. Come and enjoy a Japanese styled new year at Minkaen!
- Date & Time: Saturday, January 4, 2020 / 9:30 - 16:30
※On January 4, the admission for visitors who wear a kimono is free.
※Since there might be many visitors in Minkaen on this day, please refrain from using chair, easel or tripods for painting/photography.
Lion Dance (Shishimai)
A dancing lion (shisih) visits neighbor houses and drives out evil spirits from the houses. ※Free to see on the day
- Time: 11:00 - 11:30
- Place: 6. The Sasaki House
- Performer: Suwajinja-matsuri-bayashi-Hozonkai
You can play Oshogatsu games like spinning a top, Hanetsuki (a badminton like Japanese game), Fukuwarai (lucky laugh), and experience traditional games like Menko (a Japanese card game), stacked Daruma game and more.
- Time: 13:00 - 15:30
- Place: several places in Minkaen
- In cooperation with: Robatanokai (Minkaen volunteer group)
Oshogatsu Photo Spot
You can take Japanese-styled photos wearing masks of comical Japanese character like Hyottoko and Okame.
- Time: 11:30 - 15:30
- Place: to be decided
New Year’s Decoration
Decoration of Shime-nawa (a holy straw rope) from various places in Japan is reproduced and displayed.
- Data: Wednesday, December 11, 2019 - Wednesday, January 8, 2020
- Time: Free to see during opening hours
- Place: 11.The Sakuda House and others
New Year’s Cafe
Kominka (folk house) café opens on the new year’s day.
You can enjoy cakes while warming yourself at a brazier.
- Time: 11:00 - 16:00. Last order: 15:30
- Place: 0. The Hara House